Buell riders of bc

Belt tensioner pully bearings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Belt tensioner pully bearings

Post by Black Lightning on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:25 pm

So, the nice man at Kamloops HD said my bearings were on the way out and the local bearing house didn't have any. I suspect they didn't have any with that specific number because the bearing house in Williams Lake had all kinds that would fit. He didn't want to order it from his suppliers because he thinks they will send the whole tensioner pulley with bearings which will cost lots.

Bearing part number is NTN 6203LAX30. NTN denies all knowledge of such a bearing and it turns out to be a special bearing also used for tensioner pulleys on some Fords and Dodge products as well, not in their main catalogue. Looking at the specifications for 6203 bearings suggests that any 6203 bearing will fit. You need two sealed units.

Apparently some tensioner pulleys had a single 5203, (thickness 17.5mm. same bore diameter and OD as the 6203), sealed bearing. This would require modification to the pulley to make 6203 bearings fit. The dual 6203 bearing version, (total thickness 24mm), will handle more load than the double row 5203 bearing, (thus should last longer).

I'll update this later when I  know how it turns out.

Last edited by Black Lightning on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Belt tensioner pully bearings

Post by Guyatt on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:06 pm

From what i figured out mcmaster-carr has a bearing that is the same http://www.mcmaster.com/#5972k44/=o1v0pb
Guyatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Lightning on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Except that McMaster-Carr won't ship me stuff. The local bearing house in Williams Lake had the bearings in stock. 15 bucks for the pair.

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Lightning on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:03 pm

OK, it's all back together. The retaining ring was a rectal discomfort, (wtf is wrong with circlips anyway?). I had to use a little heat to loosen the bearings so they would push out. A 1 1/8th socket will serve in a vice to push them back in again and a 1 1/2 inch socket works as an anvil when pushing them out. I drove them out with a brass hammer. So all it cost me was a trip to town and $15.00 plus a little time, (and some rather gratuitously foul language).

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Lightning on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 pm

By the way, The exploded drawing of the belt tensioner assembly doesn't break down the bearings and pulley. I suspect that means that neither HD nor EBR will sell you just the bearings.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top