Buell riders of bc

2008 Buell 1125r Engine SEIZE

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2008 Buell 1125r Engine SEIZE

Post by buellguy on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was riding my bike two weeks ago. I was attempting to change lanes as I was heading home and all the guys were riding back to Vancouver. Anyway my goal was to rev my engine loud enough that the bike on my left could hear me as he did not have a signal light. I reved my engine up throttled forward and changed lanes and got in front of him. Only to have my bike’s RPM to be stuck on high. You know that sound ringggggggggggg. Well I tried to down gear before hitting 88-KGB in Surrey. My bikes clutch appeared to have seized. I tried slowing down but my bike fish tailed. I tried once again only to have my bike slam down. I didn’t have control of my bike. Yes I could have probably clutched down and hit the engine kill but honestly I was wearing no gear and that was what was on my mind at the time so of course my mind went blank. I ended up bailing having approx. 25 percent of my body to have rd rash and my bike has approx. $3500,00 in damage not including the insurance I have to keep on it as I’m not riding my bike now until it’s fixed. But to be honest I’m a little scared to ride it now.

Contacted two different Harley Davidson dealerships and they had no clue what could have caused it after explaining the story. Both dealerships checked the recall status and if it’s up to date. They confirmed it being up to date. I asked if I can have a hard copy of the recall status work confirmed and I got a…”no”. So I’m thinking I just have to take there word for it? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Everyone make sure your recalls are up to date.

People expect accidents to happen through your own fault, other motorists, or environmental factors like oil on the road. The truth is nobody expects there bike to malfunction, well I don’t.

Here is a link to the recall that I found online that sounds suspicious.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallresults.cfm?start=1&SearchType=DrillDown&type=VEHICLE&year=2008&make=BUELL&model=1125R&component_id=0&TYPENUM=1&SUBMIT=Retrieve%20Recalls&summary=true&prod_id=405768&PrintVersion=YES

Back to top Go down

Re: 2008 Buell 1125r Engine SEIZE

Post by Neufey on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:40 am

that sucks that you wiped out but at least your still able to walk and talk, hope the rash isnt to bad. The way you describe the accident it sounds a bit like the the clutch might have lost fluid or had air in it stopping it from disengaging. the high revs sound like a stuck or siezed throttle cable or an unlikely bad TPS as the engine would have been starved of air becuse the butterflies would have been closed. the recall you suspect above is unlikely the cause as it causes your transmission to lock up right now which means the engine stalls and your rear tire locks up. The recall was set into place beacuse of 2 race bikes that encountered this issue, it was found to only occur during high constant speeds in 5th and 6th gear there wasnt enough oil making it through. Hope this helps a bit.
Neufey

http://www3.telus.net/public/neufey/

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 am

Yes that actually really did help Neufey, as usual your the man when it comes to info relating to Buells, especially 1125r.

I was woundering if my bike would be safe to ride? What do you think? I know if I'm put in the same position that you should just hold the clutch down and shut off the engine (engine kill switch). I'm assuming that should work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Neufey on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Hey Buellguy, I was talking to some of my fellow riders at work and we had another thought, was the tail slide because the tire was spinning or was it because it was locking up? If it was locking up we were thinking perhaps even tho your clutch seemed to have siezed that you still might have knocked it down a gear or two without knowing which would have caused the tire skip as its trying to match itself to the engine revs. just another thought to consider.
As for your biking being safe all I can say is Ive done alot of homework on these bikes and after logging 26,000Km's on mine I can say its definately not the most reliable bike out there, its left me stranded a couple of times, and every time I head out on my weekend trips I wonder what will break next, but I cant say I dont feel unsafe on it. So for yours once you get it back I would have a very close look at it mechanicaly, no offense to the dealers but I dont trust them to work on mine further than I can throw them, move the throttle make sure it feels smooth, go into the diagnostic screen and watch the TPS voltage to make sure its cycling correctly, if you have stands put it on them and spin the tires, listen for anything odd, run the tranny through the gears and once you have it in your head that it looks good, feels right and sounds right take it for a nice relaxed ride. Its going to be up to you to decide if its safe or not but I know once I've check the bike over with a fine tooth comb I wouldnt have an issue riding it IMHO. (I just wouldnt push it for a few housand K's or so). If you need any help or are unsure of anything let me know, Ill answer or help where I can.
Neufey

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:33 am

All I can remember is I couldn't gear down at all. The tire didn't sieaze at all but the gear did, wouldn't change. I can't remember if my clutch wouldn't work but now that you mention it I'm thinking it didn't do anything either. But I'm not 100% on that as I just remember that I couldn't do anything to stop it at the time.

I never had any problems with my bike in the past really other then voltage on a battery. All these things you mentioned to check I'm not that mechanically inclined but I'll figure something out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Neufey on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Well if you need a hand you can always swing by and I can give you a hand and show you what to look for. On a side note if you ever find your speedo stops working check the brake/horn fuse as its tied into that systems as I just found out.
Neufey

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 am

I actually might take you up on that. The only problem is my bike is at Barnes until December latest... gotta love how long it takes to get Buell parts. I'll have to take you up on the offer this spring of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Neufey on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 am

Ya its a little painful some times waiting for them. I started stocking my own parts so Im ready for when poopsicle breaks. Smile . Just send me a message and we can arrange a day to have a look at your bike once the weather turns nice again and we can dust off our motorcycles for another season of fun.
Neufey

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 am

Yay, sounds good.

Back to top Go down

Post by bcbueller on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:38 pm

almost all the parts are in ... just waiting on a few farkels ( swingarm and subframe)

Admin

http://www.buellbc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:43 pm

That is awesome man... thanks for the update.

Back to top Go down

Post by bcbueller on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:51 pm

actually i had to push the issue on more than a few points . they did not want to replace the swing arm and they did not want to replace the rear subframe . they only wanted to replace one lever (should be replaced as a set as they are anodized as a pair) and several other odds and ends . i am hoping it comes together well . i will see if my self or Jamieson can take it for a ride as we are the most knowledgeable about them ... oh yeah ..... and we got your belt replaced cheers

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:51 am

Holy crap, thanks man.

Quick question... they didn't want to replace the first things you mentioned... are they going to be replaced. I just need to know so i can call and complain at them if there refusing to cover that.

LOL I noticed when I tryed to type b i t c h it came up as wife.

Back to top Go down

Post by bcbueller on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 am

lol yes i did that to the wording on the forum with favorite swears , go ahead and try other swears

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bcbueller on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:53 am

Ok so that you know . please don't call anyone to complain, i would like to think i am good at my job , all the things they did not want to replace ARE going to be replaced including that you get a new drive belt (there was nothing wrong with yours ). as the bike goes back together i hope that nothing was missed and that it goes together as if nothing was ever wrong

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 pm

LOL no I meant I would complain to Becon if I was going to but yeah no worries you answered my question. So not that I'm complaining at all... but how did you get them to pay for a new belt. I thought that insurance companies are stingy.

Back to top Go down

Post by bcbueller on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Like i said ... i would like to think i am good at my job king

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bcbueller on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:24 pm

lol seriously though . its part of what was looked at for what happened for the bike to crash . just makes good common scence

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:31 pm

LOL yes yes your good at your job. Thanks man and thanks for the new belt. Now I can wait another 30 k for replacing it. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Lightning on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Actually, experience tells me to get one earlier than that. Both times mine broke it was completely unexpected and both times my truck was down too. Where I live, (40 clicks from Williams Lake), there ain't no transit. Best to have perishable stuff on hand if possible. Fortunately for me the second time it broke was in my back yard. (whew!) Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm

LOL yeah we all have differant luck. Mine looked like it had at least 10k left in it. My bike's only at like 19k.

Back to top Go down

Post by bcbueller on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:43 pm

ooooo pazzo levers arrived today woo hoo . ( i got a replacement set not just a single ) lol

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 pm

same ones?

Back to top Go down

Post by Black Lightning on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:32 am

buellguy wrote:LOL yeah we all have differant luck. Mine looked like it had at least 10k left in it. My bike's only at like 19k.

My first break happened at about 9000 Km. Mad The second went about 32000. I have my suspicions about the first one. alien

Back to top Go down

Post by buellguy on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 am

Dude that's way to earily... It must have been fulty. But then again... it's a Harley technology and we all know how buit proof Harley is. Good thing Eric Buell turned to chains for the new EBR line.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top